Tuesday, May 26, 2009

LIfe in Colombia

A question I've been asking myself since I got back is:
How can we go to other countries to share the gospel and our testimonys but when we get back to the states we aren't as confident or we just don't think its as important?

WE have people here who need Jesus just as bad as the person we lead to Christ in another country. I don't know but I've been super convicted about that since I've been back. I don't want this fire to just burn out because I'm comfortable again I want the fire to burn like never before. Just my two cents that Gods been working in me about.

Goodness where do I start with life for the past month! I spent 13 days in Armania area of Colombia and the last 11 days in Chocco area. EAch place had its pros and cons!

Armania area we were still pretty comfortable because we stayed at a nice place and then ride the bus where ever we were heading that day. We went into so many schools to give the book of hope there. I loved doing dramas with my team and loving on kids for the time! Armania has a great climate because you are surrounded by mountains! I would sit outside on the balcony at night and just have God time and I would take a blanket or wear a sweat shirt! Our days were super long in Armania...The first day we started at 5 am and ended around 6pm. Talk about being tired! Some days were 6am to 9pm. God gave each of the strength that was needed! We worked with awesome pastors during the 13 days, each so loving and wanted to bless us when we came to bless them. It was hard leaving that area but God comforted me by knowing that they had awesome pastors to lead them!

Chocco is a different story. I cry everyday a little because I miss these kids. It is the poorest state in the country of Colombia. You have kids at age 7 taking care of their younger siblings, can you imagine? We stayed in Quibdo the first 6 days and were able to get into a few schools then did street ministry. I loved the street ministry because i was able to actually interact alot more with the kids. What broke my heart was one day of street ministry I was speaking to the kids and looked down and saw a kid eating dirt. How selfish am I? He was eating dirt! We are spoiled here Americans!!!!! One place we stayed at in Chocco was at a pastors house and my goodness we didnt have a bit of airflow at all! It was all concrete and 100 degrees at night! It was misirable but then you realize yu are their furthering the kingdom of God! So it helped a little!
we were able to float on the river for the last three days. This is where I get choked up alot! I had 6 or so kids that I just fell in love with! They were waiting on us when we got to the bank of the river. They were all siblings and had nothing. I just played and loved on them for the few days I was with them. I gave one little boy my tennis shoes and he had never had a pair in his life. He started to cry just thanking me. I was like wow! I would probably do anything to be playing with those kids right now! I realized all they need is just to be loved and held. But me typing all this out does not do justice of what this trip was!
We ate some nasty food :) I had to suck a fish head gag me right now and let me throw up haha!! I didn't feel too well after that one. We had this nasty salted cheese and with this cheese you had to look at the women who prepared it and have a big SMILE on your face acting like you like it. Most of us tried so hard to but our contacts could tell we were having a hard time with it! I think we only had salted cheese a few more times after that. I gag thinking about it right now! But for the most part we were blessed by the foods and God gave us the strength to eat it. Well God gave Spencer the strength to eat most of my food plus his, thanks brother!!!


this was a life changing trip for me. I learned alot about trusting in God and not others. Realizing justhow selfish I really am. I have everything plus more..all they have is stuff they need and some don't even have that. They get by with what they can have. Even if its just one meal a day! Think ab not having enough money to feed your family. people would work for 3 american dollars a day....i can spend 50 dollars easy in one day. It just really gets me how much we have and dont need! It was just a good wake up call for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment